Finding a website that is easy to use and filled with information for Russian genealogy takes a lot of patience and time to uncover.
Погибшие is an incredible website with information spanning from War of 1812 to the first Chechen War. That makes it a unique website for Russian genealogy.
Usually, it would take a lot of time to cover this material on numerous websites that is just alone on Погибшие. This website provides information on some of those who served in the Patriotic War of 1812, Russian-Japanese War of 1904-1905, World War I, World War II, Afghanistan War and the first Chechen War.
Not only are patriotic Russians covered on this website, information can be found on some rebels and repressed people of the Russian Revolution and USSR.
Here are tips on how to use this website even with little knowledge of Russian.
- Have your surnames translated into Russian on Google Translate.
- Then copy and paste your translated surnames into the left box on Google Translate to see whether any of the names translate into words such as surname Kapusta (translated from Cyrillic to English will be Cabbage). When using Google Translate, someone looking for people named Kapusta will have to look for people named Cabbage.
- If using Google Translate makes this website too hard to understand, here is another way to search the entire website. Do step 1 and then paste one surname at a time next to site:http://xn--90adhkb6ag0f.xn--p1ai/ into Google. Then copy and paste the search results into Google Translate to see which results are worth viewing.
- If this website doesn’t intimidate you in Russian, paste one surname at a time into the search box on the right above Введите фамилию солдата to find only soldiers.
- If you use Google Translate with this website, paste one surname at a time into the search box on the right above Enter the name of a soldier.
- Step 3 will be needed to search the entire website. It’s as simple as Иванов site:http://xn--90adhkb6ag0f.xn--p1ai/ into Google.
- Once you find information that could be useful, it’s time move onto serious searching on the Internet, based on the information you found.
Take that next step by reading Secrets of searching the Internet in Russian and Ukrainian like a native speaker.